The 5S of LEAN are:
- Sort – clearly distinguish needed items from unneeded and eliminate the latter
- Straighten – keep needed items in the correct place to allow for easy and immediate retrieval
- Shine – keep the workplace neat and clean
- Standardize – the method my which Sort, Straighten and Shine and made habitual
- Sustain – maintain established procedures
These 5S help to elimiate the eight wastes common in manufacturing processes, represented by the acronym DOWNTIME.
- Defects/rework – not doing it right the first time.
- Overproduction – making or purchasing too much of an item, or producing it too early.
- Waiting – not being able to perform a task when ready.
- Not using employee ideas or skills – keeping processes the same despite new ideas.
- Transportation – moving materials more than needed.
- Inventory – having too much of an item.
- Motion – walking around or moving more than necessary to complete a task.
- Extra processing – doing paperwork for the sake of doing paperwork.
Throughout the year, we are hosting 5S Activities, which will help standardize our processes and create safer, more efficient work environments. The most important part is that 5S helps us sustain the improvements we make.
Have questions for our experts? Leave your comment below and check out our website for more information.