Who We Are
Since 1948, we have been developing services and expertise to serve you at every stage of your building. Self-performance of all trades, in-house shops and over six decades of experience have made us the top choice in mechanical contractors, providing highly efficient mechanical systems and a full range of services to meet our customers’ unique needs. In all we do, we are
BUILDING A HIGHER STANDARD.
“To be the best mechanical service provider to work for as an employee and to work with as a customer.”
A Company Built on Values
Since 1948, our proven approach has ensured high-quality solutions at every stage of a building. But we know that providing the highest level of services takes the right people and a healthy environment. With this in mind, our focus is to improve the lives of our customers, employees and communities around us through all aspects of what we do.
We are committed to complete customer satisfaction through the delivery of quality products and services, completed on time–every time.
We conduct our business in an honest and ethical manner, without compromise.
We demonstrate care and compassion to our employees, our business associates, our customers and our community.
We encourage new ideas and are constantly seeking creative solutions to benefit our customers and our industry.
We are committed to providing an environment in which employees are intellectually challenged, appreciated, rewarded and encouraged to maintain a healthy work-life balance.
We are committed to providing a safe and healthy work environment for our employees and those around us.
We are determined to be industry and community leaders in caring for and improving our environment by conserving precious resources and practicing energy efficiency.
In 1943, John M. McKenney opened shop just south of Atlanta to recap tires for the Army during World War II. As the war came to an end, the newly named McKenney’s Tire and Appliance Company began selling household appliances, including floor furnaces, to Atlanta-area residents. The company adjusted to the booming post-war economy by shifting from residential needs to light industrial and commercial work. On June 4, 1948, the company officially became McKenney’s, Inc.
By 1952, McKenney’s began taking on larger-scale projects, including multi-story commercial and residential work. John M. McKenney also began working with pipe fitter and sheet metal worker unions, building a skilled, reliable in-house workforce. Notable projects during this period included the Darlington Apartments in Atlanta and Charleston, Atlanta’s Howell House Apartments, and the Alabama Livestock Coliseum in Montgomery.
In 1960, the company added plumbing to its list of services and began to partner with local general contractors. To accommodate the expanding business, McKenney’s moved to a new facility in East Point, Georgia. The new building housed the first automatic coil line for fabrication of duct in the Southeast, as well as space for plumbing and pipe fabrication.
In 1972, McKenney’s moved to its current location just off Moreland Industrial Boulevard in the heart of Atlanta. This marked the company’s transition to second-generation ownership and management, as John M. McKenney’s son David joined the company. McKenney’s also established its service and energy management departments to accommodate a growing customer base and their changing needs. Notable projects included the Omni Arena and Ice Rink, the Coastal States Building, the Peachtree Center Cain Tower, and Hartsfield Atlanta International Airport.
As metro Atlanta grew, so did McKenney’s. The company formed new departments, focusing on interiors and special projects, design/build, and healthcare and research. The sheet metal shop nearly doubled in size, and a new material handling facility was added. McKenney’s also opened an office in Charlotte, North Carolina, to serve its customers expanding to this location. Notable projects included the 50-story IBM Atlantic Center tower in Atlanta, the Atlanta Apparel Mart and Gift Mart, Underground Atlanta, 191 Peachtree, One Peachtree Center and NationsBank Plaza.
A growing customer base led McKenney’s to open a third office in Chattanooga, Tennessee, to better serve the entire Southeast. The company also focused on specific markets for pharmaceuticals, bioengineering and medical laboratories, fiber optics manufacturing, the food and beverage industry, and other high-tech applications. David McKenney’s son John joined McKenney’s, beginning the company’s transition from second- to third-generation management, which is still in place today. Notable projects included the modernization of Grady Memorial Hospital, Concourse E at Hartsfield Atlanta International Airport, the new Atlanta Hawks Arena and the Olympic Broadcast Center.
Sustainable, energy-efficient building practices became increasingly important during the 2000s, especially as the U.S. economy saw a downturn and went into a recession. McKenney’s implemented cutting edge technologies and green practices during the 2007 renovation and expansion of its corporate campus in Atlanta. In 2009, McKenney’s was named one of Atlanta’s Best Places To Work by the Atlanta Business Chronicle. Notable projects included Georgia Aquarium, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Building 110 and central plant, and Cobb Energy Performing Arts Centre.
In 2010 and 2011, McKenney’s was named one of Atlanta’s and Charlotte’s Best Places To Work by the Atlanta Business Chronicle and the Charlotte Business Journal, respectively. The company continues to offer top services at every stage of a facility—from Design and Build to Manage and Maintain. McKenney’s is also exploring new technologies to stay on the cutting edge of smart and sustainable building practices to better serve its customers as the U.S. economy recovers. Notable projects included Fox Theatre, Warner Robin Air Logistics Center and Building 89, Fort Gillem, Fort Benning, and Georgia Tech’s Carbon Neutral Energy Solutions lab.